1/1 Photo of Baked Potato, Leek and Cheese Soup
1 hr 35 mins
Rosie Rob's Note:
A brilliant way to use up those left over jacket potatoes. The first time I made this soup I didn't have any sour cream so I used 2 fl.oz (60ml) natural yogurt and 2 fl.oz (60ml) double cream. It was a great hit and the soup has remained a popular choice for a warm and filling lunch on cold days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large baking potatoes (about 1/2 lb/250g each)
- 3 ounces unsalted butter (75g)
- 1 lb leek, white and light green parts, sliced and rinsed well (500g)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 16 fluid ounces chicken stock (500ml)
- 4 slices thick rindless bacon, cut into 1/2 in (1 1/2 cm)
- 4 fluid ounces milk (125ml)
- 4 fluid ounces sour cream (125ml)
- 4 ounces strong cheddar cheese, grated (112g)
- 2 tablespoons chives, thinly sliced
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/GMK6 and bake the potatoes in their skins for about 1 hour until cooked. Cool completely before using.
- 2Melt 2 oz (50g) the butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and 16 fl.oz (500ml) water. Simmer until the leeks are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, fry the bacon in the remaining butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
- 4Cut one of cooled potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh out in one piece from each half. Cut the flesh into ½ in (1 ½ cm) cubes and set aside.
- 5Coarsely chop the potato skin and the entire remaining potato and add to the saucepan with the leeks.
- 6Puree the contents of the pot in batches in a blender until very smooth. Return the soup to a clean pot and reheat gently.
- 7Whisk together the milk and sour cream and then and stir into the soup, along with ½ of the Cheddar cheese. Stir in the diced potato. Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Serve garnished with the remaining Cheddar cheese, the bacon bits, and chives.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Potato, Leek and Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.8
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 24.6 g
- Cholesterol 109.3 mg
- Sodium 592.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 17.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: