Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
After a couple tries, my husband finally says this is the soup! I think it is the garlic that won him over.:) This soup can be seasoned to your taste with any number of spices!
- 12 slices bacon, fried,cooled,and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 medium baked potatoes, cooled,peeled,and cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- In a large pot, melt butter and add flour.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk, stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil to thicken.
- Add potatoes, garlic, onions.
- Simmer for 10 minutes Add in cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, old bay, and bacon.
- Heat til cheese is melted and serve!
I am not going to rate the actual recipe due to some adjustments I had to make. I had already cup up raw potatoes when I found this recipe in my recipe folder and decided to make it. First I sauted regular onions in butter then I followed the first 3 steps as written, added the pototes and turned the heat down to simmer and get the potatoes done. When the potatoes were done I continued with the other steps omitting the bacon (was out). I did not have 2 cups of sharp cheddar so I used what I had then made up the rest with regular cheddar. I liked how the recipe thickend up but was a little disappointed in the flavor. I am sure when I make this again (and I will, soon), baking the potatoes FIRST then I will really enjoy this recipe. That is why I am not rating it, just letting people know that if they make it without the baked potatoes I think they will disappointed also.
This soup was really easy to make, and the taste was good! I used turkey bacon, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I think next time I will put in another cup of milk, as it was VERY thick, and add more salt and pepper - I was a little conservative with the ol' S & P!
Delicious soup, both quick and easy to make.