Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you are a meat and potatoes kind of person, this is the bread for you! The velvety texture and rich flavor make this bread a wonderful companion to roasts, and a natural for meatloaf sandwiches. Served warm, it turns a bowl of vegetable beef soup into a memorable meal. From Electric Bread.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits
- 4 cups white bread flour
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup potato flakes (instant)
- 1⁄4 cup dried chives
- 2 teaspoons fast rise yeast or 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Combine according to your manufacturer's directions.
- Success Hints: This dough will be very dry.
- Resist the urge to add water.
- For best flavor, use real bacon bits.
- For a taste treat, use Jezebel Jam (see Recipe #56892).
- This recipe can be baked with the white or rapid bake cycles.
I made Minestrone soup & served it with this bread - what a combination! I omitted the bacon bits & next time I might add a little more chives. Thanks for sharing this with us Bev.
I added the extra water because the dough was really dry and I was making dinner rolls out of the dough. They turned out very well, made 15 very large rolls. I probably could have made 24 small ones.
I made this with a few small changes and it came out wonderfully. Instead of adding 1/3 cup more water I added 1/3 cup Jalapeno Juice. I used 2 tsp active dry yeast, and I tossed in some Green chilies. This came out soooooo good. Thanks for posting this recipe I will be making it many more times in the future!