Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This delicious veggie dish, with sour cream and chives is great for holiday meals! Kids love it and will definite eat their carrots!
- 1 lb carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise (if large, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature, divided
- 3 large russet potatoes (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 lbs.)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half, warmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place carrots and 1/3 cup of water in 8x8x2" baking dish. Dot with 2 tbsp butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place carrots, along with potatoes, in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Stir carrots and pierce potatoes with fork in several places. Bake until carrot and potatoes are tender, about 50 minutes longer.
- Using ricer, press carrots into large bowl, scraping any juices from baking dish.
- Halve potatoes. Working in batches, scoop potato flesh into ricer, then rice potatoes into bowl with carrots. Using electric mixer, beat in 4 tbsp butter, then sour cream, warm half and half, and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Butter 13x9x2" oval baking dish. Spread potato mixture in dish, swirling mixture to create peaks. Can be made one day ahead of time. Cover; chill.
- Bake in oven until heated through and brown in spots, about 25 minutes (35inutes if chilled).