1/2 Photos of Baked Polenta With a Tomato Sauce
2 hrs 40 mins
This is a very tasty, filling meal. It can be used as a side dish or as a main course. For those following Weight Watchers, the whole recipe provides 16.5 points, assuming you use low fat cheese. Prep time includes time for the polenta to set.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cook polenta (yellow cornmeal)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes (14oz=400g)
- 10 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (or mozzarella)
- plastic wrap (saran wrap or cling film)
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- 2Pour 3 cups of cold water into a saucepan and turn the heat up to high.
- 3Add 1 cup polenta/ cornmeal gradually, stirring until it is all mixed in.
- 4Stir in the paprika and nutmeg.
- 5Heat until boiling, then simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. NB: The polenta may spit if not stirred so be careful!
- 6When the polenta has thickened at the end of the 2 minutes, remove from the heat. Line a loaf pan with cling film/ saran wrap and pour the polenta in
- 7Allow to cool, then refrigerate for 2 hours until solid.
- 8Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet and cook the onion and garlic, stirring, for 3 minutes until soft.
- 9Add the chopped tomatoes and fresh basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste then simmer for 10 minutes.
- 10Meanwhile, turn the polenta onto a chopping board and remove the cling film. Cut it into about 18 squares. Slices can also be used if they fit your baking tray better.
- 11Pour a third of the tomato sauce into a baking tray, top with half the polenta squares. Repeat the layers ending with sauce (alternatively I use a large shallow baking tray so I use a single layer of polenta squares with tomato sauce underneath and poured over the top).
- 12Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- 13Remove from the oven, sprinkle the cheese over the top and return to the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Polenta With a Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.5
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 29.6 mg
- Sodium 203.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 11.9 g