Satisfies the craving for fries without actually having to fry anything. These are so easy to make, and are great for making in advance. You can make and cut the polenta in advance, and it's only a 20 minute trip in the oven away from a great snack. This would also work for making squares or circles of polenta to use as a base for an amuse or hors d'oeuvre. Feel free to play around with the liquid- you could try with all water, all chicken broth, add some milk, etc.You could also add cheese and try adding herbs or other flavorings. This is a really easy recipe to customize. And by all means, if you have the time to use real polenta, not instant, be my guest. For this application I have not found that it makes enough of a difference to warrant the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Follow the directions on your box of polenta to prepare it. They should look something like this:.
- 2Bring the water and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add the salt, and slowly stream in the instant polenta. Stir constantly for 3-5 minutes (depending on the polenta).
- 3Now transfer the polenta into a casserole or baking dish and spread to evenly coat (you should have a layer at least 1/2 " thick, but if it's thicker don't worry, you can always just cut the pieces in half later to thin them down). You can grease the dish if you want, but I never have a problem with it sticking.
- 4Let cool for at least one hour and up to 2 days in the refrigerator (it will become solid and easy to work with once cooled).
- 5When ready to cook, preheat oven to 450, remove the polenta from the dish and cut into strips that resemble fries (I like 1/2" by 1/2" and about 3" in length).
- 6Place on a baking sheet and pour oil over the strips. Toss to coat and add salt or other desired seasonings at this point.
- 7Cook for 20 minutes in the oven, turning once halfway through. Enjoy and eat alone or serve with your favorite sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Polenta Fries
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.0
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 619.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: