Recipe by Lalaloula
A greeting from the easter bunny. :) This is a wonderful moist casserole dish with lots of vitamins and flavour. This tasty twist on your ordinary carrot dish is easy and rather quick to prepare as well.
Top Review by HawaiianBaker
I was looking for polenta dishes and thought this sounded simple and different. It is very different, and not that exciting. I'm not sure that carrots and cheese (and polenta) belong together. I might suggest trying a variety of veggies (broccoli, zucchini, etc.) instead of just carrots.
- 300 ml vegetable broth
- 150 ml milk
- 125 g polenta
- 500 g carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 100 g sour cream or 100 g yoghurt
- 6 leaves sage, minced (the original recipe called for parsley, but I like sage better)
- 100 g cheese, grated
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot combine vegetable broth and milk and bring to a boil. turn off heat, stir in polenta and cook until thickened (abut 3-5 minutes). Set aside to thicken further.
- Clean, wash and peel the carrots. Slice lenghtwise.
- Heat butter in a skillet and add carrots. Saute for some minutes, then add 5 tbs of water and cook covered on medium heat for another ten minutes until soft. Season with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add sour cream or yoghurt, sage and half of the cheese to the polenta and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a casserole dish (about 20X12 cm) and top with the carrots (I used their liquid too since it was full of flavour, but that way the casserole may get a bit soggy).
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake in the preheated oven at 200°C (~400°F) for 20 minutes.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes until polenta has set and can be sliced.