Recipe by CindiJ
Another favorite from Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet. We've made this often. In his cookbook - Jeff Smiths says this recipe was brought back by Thomas Jefferson after visiting Italy.
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1 cup romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add the salt and slowly stire in the polenta.
- Stir constantly to avoid lumps.
- After mixtures begins to thicken you can stir less frequently.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until very thick.
- Pour into a greased loaf mold or bread pan.
- Allow to cool in the refrigerator overnight.
- Cut into 1/4-inch slices and layer like tiles in a baking dish.
- Pour the butter or oil over the top and then the cheese.
- Bake in 375º oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and all begins to brown just a bit.