Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce or 1 (15 ) can pizza sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package American cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, Grated
- 1 (2 ) can mushrooms, Sliced,Drained
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook and stir the meat in a large skillet until brown.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Stir in half of the tomato sauce and the oregano leaves into the meat mixture.
- Heat to boiling then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- While the meat mixture is simmering, mix the baking mix, egg and the milk.
- Measure out 3/4 cup of the batter and set aside.
- Spread the remaining batter in a greased baking pan 9 X 9 X 2-inches.
- Pour into the remaining tomato sauce over the batter, spreading evenly.
- Layer 4 slices of the cheese, the meat mixture, the mushrooms and the remaining cheese on top of the batter and tomato sauce.
- Spoon the reserved batter on the top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle the batter top with the grated Parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered, until it is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
It was good. We agree that next time we will omit the parmesan on the top. As my 9 year old said, it makes it crunchy- and this isn't a crunchy dish. I appreciated the ease of prep and the fact that everybody ate it without having to nag (the kids, that is) update 5-12-09-- I was short on time today, so used pepperoni as the meat and a jar of pizza sauce for the sauce. A quick, yummy, kid-friendly dinner for a busy weeknight!
I would definitely add more veggies to this, and I agree with using sausage in place of the ground beef. I've also used veggie crumbles instead of beef, and that works really well, too.
What a great supper we just had! This is a terrific recipe, where the heck has it been hiding? I used sweet Italian sausage in place of the hamburger and our favorite local brand of pizza sauce. DH loved it! Will definitely be putting this in our regular menu rotation! Next time I make it, I think I'll add some sauteed peppers and onions to the meat along with the mushrooms. Thanks again ~Bekah, for this great recipe, only regret that I didn't run across it sooner!