Top Review by didyb
It was good. We agree that next time we will omit the parmesan on the top. As my 9 year old said, it makes it crunchy- and this isn't a crunchy dish. I appreciated the ease of prep and the fact that everybody ate it without having to nag (the kids, that is) update 5-12-09-- I was short on time today, so used pepperoni as the meat and a jar of pizza sauce for the sauce. A quick, yummy, kid-friendly dinner for a busy weeknight!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce or 1 (15 ) can pizza sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package American cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, Grated
- 1 (2 ) can mushrooms, Sliced,Drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook and stir the meat in a large skillet until brown.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Stir in half of the tomato sauce and the oregano leaves into the meat mixture.
- Heat to boiling then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- While the meat mixture is simmering, mix the baking mix, egg and the milk.
- Measure out 3/4 cup of the batter and set aside.
- Spread the remaining batter in a greased baking pan 9 X 9 X 2-inches.
- Pour into the remaining tomato sauce over the batter, spreading evenly.
- Layer 4 slices of the cheese, the meat mixture, the mushrooms and the remaining cheese on top of the batter and tomato sauce.
- Spoon the reserved batter on the top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle the batter top with the grated Parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered, until it is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.