Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I'm posting this because I don't want to lose track of it...this is one of my DH's favorite side dishes.
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- In a small skillet cook onion, pepper, chili powder and garlic in butter until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Stir in pinto beans and salsa.
- Bake, covered, in a preheated 350 oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
I've made this a couple of times as a side for a Mexican style dinner. I like it using red bell pepper. Nice alternative to refritos and less fat.
This was a perfect side to go with our fajitas. I used a bit more salsa and a mix of dried chipotle and Mexican seasoning. I was worried that this would turn out dry so I covered tightly with foil, but it worked out great. We often need an easy bean side dish and this fits the bill. Thanks for posting.
Loved this recipe!! I'm not a big fan of beans, but this was delicious. Perfect for BBQ.