1/1 Photo of Baked Penne With Roasted Vegetables,courtesy Giada De La
1 hr 5 mins
I watched Giada prepare this dish on her Food Network show, Everyday Italian. Episode: Vegetarian Italian It looked so easy and delicious, I prepared it for my family that same night. It was a big hit! NOTE: Giada prepared this dish for her Mother who dislikes garlic, so I added 10 split cloves of garlic to the vegetables before roasting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 red peppers, cored and cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning or 1 tablespoon herbes de provence, to taste
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 cups marinara sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 1 cup grated Fontina cheese, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated smoked mozzarella cheese, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, for topping, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces, to taste
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2On a baking sheet, toss the peppers, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and onions with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and dried herbs. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about 6 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard. Drain in a colander.
- 4In a large bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, cheeses, peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix, until all the pasta is coated with the sauce and the ingredients are combined.
- 5Pour the pasta into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and butter pieces. Bake until top is golden and cheese melts, about 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Penne With Roasted Vegetables,courtesy Giada De La
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 707.3
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 49.5 mg
- Sodium 1347.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.9 g
- Sugars 19.2 g
- Protein 22.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian herb seasoning