Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
For the contest, simple home cooking
- 1 lb sausage, removed from casing
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- italian seasoning (basil, oregano, etc)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb penne rigate, cooked and drained
- Spray pan with cooking spray, add sausage, cook until brown, drain fat, set aside.
- In same pan add onion,garlic, zucchini, red pepper, saute until softened.
- Puree roasted red pepper in blender, add to veggies.
- Add tomato sauce, sausage, spices, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook and drain penne.
- In a large casserole add sauce to cover bottom.
- Add remaining sauce to penne, stir.
- Add half of penne to casserole.
- Mix ricotta and egg, spread over penne.
- Top with 1 c mozzarella and some parmesan.
- Add remaining penne, top with remaining cheeses.
- Cover and bake in preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes, uncover and bake 15 minutes until cheese is slightly browned.
Good recipe, I made this last week, however, I did not use the cumin, it just didn't seem to go with the dish, perhaps because I was thinking Italian!