Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a rich, traditional pasta dish of Italian sausage and beef with a Bechamel-type ssauce
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, draineed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chopped marjoram leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta to al dente stage in a large pot of boiling water. Drain well.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionallly, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add Italian sausage and ground round, stirring to break up, until meat is browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, marjoram, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add flour and cook over moderate heat, whisking, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook over moderately high heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce is very thick and boiling, 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
- Stir all but 1 1/2 cups of the sauce into the meat mixture along with the pasta and season with salt and pepper.
- Sppon pasta in to a 3 qt baking dish. Spread the reserved 1 1/2 cups of sauce on top.
- Bake the pasta in the center of the oven for about 30 minutes. Broil 8" from the heat for 2 minutes, until the top is browned and bubbling. Let sit fo 10 minutes before serving.
- Can be prepared through spooning pasta into baking dish. Refrigerate overnight. Bake for additional 30 minutes.