1/11 Photos of Baked Penne With Ground Beef and Tomato Sauce
2 hrs 25 mins
Of course you can use your favorite bottled pasta sauce of your choice to make this recipe, but it is really the sauce that makes this (do not omit the green bell pepper, I also add in a jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped but that is optional) To save some time and to allow the flavors to blend I strongly suggest to prepare the sauce 1-2 days in advance and refrigerate, this sauce freezes well for up to 3 months. Do not over cook the pasta as it will cook even more in the oven...you will *LOVE* this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 cups cooked penne (about 3 cups uncooked)
- 2 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 -4 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes (undrained and chopped)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 large bay leaf
- salt and black pepper
- 1For the sauce; heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat; add in onion, bell pepper, oregano, basil and chili flakes (if using) sauté for about 5 minutes (adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking).
- 2Add in the tomato paste and stir for about 1 minute.
- 3Add in all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil and simmer (UNCOVERED) on low heat for about 1-1/2 hours.
- 4Season with salt and pepper then remove the bay leaf.
- 5At this point you can cool then refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- 6Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 7Grease a medium casserole dish (or a 13 x 9-inch baking dish).
- 8In a large skillet cook the ground beef until well browned, breaking up with a spoon until crumbled; drain fat.
- 9To the skillet add in about 5 cups prepared tomato sauce (more is okay, or just go ahead and use the whole amount of sauce if desired more sauce will never hurt lol!) cook for about 15-20 minutes on medium-low heat.
- 10Remove from heat and add in 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese; stir with wooden spoon to combine.
- 11Add in the cooked penne pasta; toss to combine with sauce and cheese.
- 12Transfer to baking dish.
- 13Bake for about 20 minutes.
- 14Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese then about 1/2 cup (or more) mozzarella cheese, return to oven and cook 5-8 minutes more or until the cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Penne With Ground Beef and Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (490 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.2
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 95.6 mg
- Sodium 1060.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 35.0 g