My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices white bread, torn into quarters
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 bunch broccoli, stalks discarded, florets trimmed into 1-inch pieces (1 1/2 lb.)
- 3/4 lb penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, brushed clean, and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leave
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and re-hydrated, with soaking liquid reserved
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ounces asiago cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1Topping: process the bread and butter in a food processor fitted with the steel blade until coarsely ground, about six 1-second pulses; set aside.
- 2Filling: adjust an oven rack to the middle position; preheat oven to 400°.
- 3Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat.
- 4Stir in 1 T salt and the broccoli; cook until bright green, about 1 minute.
- 5Remove the broccoli using a slotted spoon or wire spider and spread it out on a baking sheet to cool.
- 6Return the water to a boil; add in the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- 7Drain the pasta and toss with 1 T olive oil; leave it in the colander and set aside.
- 8Wipe the pot dry; add in the remaining 2 T oil and return to medium heat until shimmering.
- 9Add in the cremini and 3/4 t salt; cook until the mushrooms have released their juices and are brown around the edges, about 10 minutes.
- 10Add in the onion and cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- 11Stir in the garlic and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 12Add in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 1 minute.
- 13Slowly whisk in the wine and the dried porcini with their reserved liquid; cook until the liquid is almost evaporated, about 1 minute.
- 14Slowly whisk in the broth and cream; bring to a simmer, whisking often.
- 15Add in the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- 16Off the heat, stir in the Asiago and pepper.
- 17Add in the cooked pasta and broccoli to the sauce; stir to combine.
- 18Transfer to a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and sprinkle with the bread crumb topping.
- 19Bake until the casserole is bubbling and the crumbs are lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- 20Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Penne With Chicken, Broccoli, and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 638.9
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 247.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 38.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: