Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Make and share this Baked Penne With Chicken, Broccoli, and Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices white bread, torn into quarters
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 bunch broccoli, stalks discarded, florets trimmed into 1-inch pieces (1 1/2 lb.)
- 3⁄4 lb penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, brushed clean, and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and re-hydrated, with soaking liquid reserved
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ounces asiago cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Topping: process the bread and butter in a food processor fitted with the steel blade until coarsely ground, about six 1-second pulses; set aside.
- Filling: adjust an oven rack to the middle position; preheat oven to 400°.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat.
- Stir in 1 T salt and the broccoli; cook until bright green, about 1 minute.
- Remove the broccoli using a slotted spoon or wire spider and spread it out on a baking sheet to cool.
- Return the water to a boil; add in the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and toss with 1 T olive oil; leave it in the colander and set aside.
- Wipe the pot dry; add in the remaining 2 T oil and return to medium heat until shimmering.
- Add in the cremini and 3/4 t salt; cook until the mushrooms have released their juices and are brown around the edges, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the onion and cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the wine and the dried porcini with their reserved liquid; cook until the liquid is almost evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the broth and cream; bring to a simmer, whisking often.
- Add in the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Off the heat, stir in the Asiago and pepper.
- Add in the cooked pasta and broccoli to the sauce; stir to combine.
- Transfer to a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and sprinkle with the bread crumb topping.
- Bake until the casserole is bubbling and the crumbs are lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.