Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
These is a recipe that I created by combining 2 recipes. The result is fabulous! This is my kids' favorite meal. I serve it with green salad and bread sticks or garlic bread.
- 16 ounces penne rigate (also called mostaccioli)
- 2 eggs
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese or 15 ounces cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 48 ounces marinara sauce (I use Barilla sauce)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with no-stick spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions (do not overcook). Drain.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl. Stir in ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and parsley.
- To assemble casserole:.
- Layer 1: Spread 2 cups marinara sauce to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Layer 2: place 1/2 of the pasta over the sauce.
- Layer 3: Spoon 1/2 the cheese mixture over the pasta by tablespoonfuls and spead to distribute evenly over the pasta.
- Layer 4: sprinkle evenly with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat above layers.
- To finish, spread the last 2 cups of marinara sauce over casserole and top with last 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 60-70 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Uncover, bake 5 minutes more until cheese is melted.