Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In 'The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever' by Beatrice Ojakangas
Make and share this Baked Pecan-Stuffed French Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- French bread, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1⁄2 lb cooked ham, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- maple syrup, for serving
- Combine the brown sugar, butter, and honey in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, 2-3 minutes.
- Pour into an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the pecans.
- Top with half of the bread slices, and scatter the ham on top.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl and beat until well mixed.
- Dip the remaining bread slices in the egg mixture on one side only.
- Place over the ham, dipped side down.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread slices.
- Combine the sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top.
- Cover the baking dish and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Uncover the French toast and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut into 8 servings; serve with warm maple syrup.