Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Easy and delicious. Good to prepare for a holiday breakfast.
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 -10 slices French bread, cut into 1 inch diagonal slices
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Butter large baking dish.
- In a bowl combine eggs, milk, vanilla and spices.
- Place bread in baking dish in a single layer with sides touching.
- Pour egg-milk mixture over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine topping ingredients in a bowl.
- In the morning uncover and spread topping evenly over bread.
- Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes until puffed and golden.
This recipie is great! I'm not a fan of corn syrup in the topping though i prefer 1 tsp vanilla.
Make sure to pull it out of the oven quickly as it can get dry. Also, make more egg mixture if your loaves of bread are long. I found that I had to make twice as much to have enough to coat the bread.
My family really enjoyed this for breakfast Christmas morning. This deserves waaaay more than 5 stars for taste, presentation and ease of recipe! I sub'd a whole, sliced baguette for the bread and couldn't find the nutmeg in my cupboard so I left that out. It didn't detract from the recipe at all. The crunchy topping was devine. We drizzled some warm maple syrup over each serving and next time I won't forget the powdered sugar dusting! I baked it in a stoneware dish on 350*f. for about 45 minutes. Tres delish! We'll make this many more times, Im sure.