Recipe by jenny butt
Coming from Jamaica, this dish is filling & inexpensive. From Foods of the World series, Time/Life.
- 2 1⁄2-3 kg raw green pawpaw, cut in half length ways & de seeded
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 ounces onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 4 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper sauce
- sweet chili sauce, to taste
- salt & pepper
- 125 g grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 180oC (350oF).
- Heat oil in large frypan, and sauté onions and garlic.
- Stir in beef; cook to well done.
- Add tomatoes and other seasonings.
- Cook briskly stirring occasionally until liquid has reduced.
- Taste for seasoning--adjust if needed.
- Spoon meat mixture into pawpaw shells.
- Place shells side by side in shallow pan.
- Place pan in centre of oven.
- Pour in enough boiling water to come up to approx 1" of sides of pawpaw.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until pawpaw shows no resistance when pierced with a skewer and top is delicately browned.
- To serve, transfer the pawpaw shells to a large heated dish and top further with remaining cheese.