Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A easy pasta dish that can be a meal or a side dish.
- 3⁄4 lb fusilli or 3⁄4 lb orecchiette or 3⁄4 lb ortini pasta
- 5 small zucchini, 1/2 inch slices
- salt and pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained/chopped
- 8 black olives, sliced
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil.
- Saute Zucchini until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to an oiled shallow casserole dish.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water, when pasta is almost cooked, drain and add to Zucchini.
- Add tomatoes, olives, Parmesan, rosemary and 1/2 of the mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper; if desired.
- Gently mix together.
- Cover with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake until cheese is melted and the top is slightly browned, about 15 minutes.
We liked this very much. Due to one of the other reviews, I threw in one finely chopped clove of garlic and some chopped onion when I sautÃ©ed the zucchini. My DH doesn't like black olives so I just used green ones. I am sure that we will make this one again!
I wanted to let you know that I tried this - but my flavor was very different than what was intended because I used monterey jack cheese (it worked in a weird way). The texture was good, it was easy, and I think it's a good way to get some veggies into my kids. I'll be making this again.
DH and I both came to the consensus that this dish needs onions and/or garlic. I personally did not care for the olives but given that I'm pregnant I'm super-sensitive to some tastes so it could be just me. My toddler ate really well so definite brownie points there. Easy to make and quick.