Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
An experiment in the kitchen as an 18 yr old that totally surprised my family about my hidden talent for cooking.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 -3 spring onions (depending on the size)
- 6 cloves garlic (the more the better)
- 2 tablespoons refined flour
- diced ham or sausage or cooked chicken or broccoli
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- fettuccine pasta or corkscrew macaroni
- grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Heat olive oil in a pan and fry onion, spring onions and garlic lightly.
- Add flour and fry it for a few seconds before adding milk, pepper and salt.
- Then add sliced mushrooms.
- Then add 1/2 of the diced ham or sausage and cook sauce for 2 minutes Brush the bottom of a baking tray (3"high) with a little olive oil.
- Spread 1/2 the white sauce in the tray Layer the other 1/2 of the sausage or ham over the white sauce.
- Layer boiled pasta and the rest of the white sauce over this.
- Finally sprinkle cheese small pieces of butter over the last layer.
- Bake till cheese turns slightly golden in an oven with moderate heat.
We found this to be quite bland and we both made regular use of the salt shaker at dinner (this is very unusual for my husband who almost never adds salt to food). I would recommend adding salt at some point in the recipe. We used the chopped chicken option, but also added broccoli florets and 2 large chopped tomatoes to increase the nutritional value of the dish. I would have added chopped, cooked asparagus, but there would not have been room in the baking dish.
This was a nice dish for a cold day! I used chicken and, since we like a bit more flavor, added some dried parsley and garlic powder. Thanks!
This is very good!!I used chicken and it turned out great!!We need more recipes from you.