Prep 12 mins
Cook 40 mins
From "Redbook" magazine.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 1 lb pasta
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, torn
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat; add tomatoes, onion, garlic and cook 5 minutes until tomatoes soften.
- Stir in marinara and red pepper flakes; continue to simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in turkey.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until very al dente; about 2 minutes less than recommended time on package of pasta.
- Drain pasta; transfer to a large bowl and toss with 2 cups of the sauce.
- Grease a 3-qt baking dish with EVOO. Layer some pasta in dish, then some sauce, basil, Parmesan and mozzarella. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with mozzarella on top.
- Bake 25 minutes, until top is golden and pasta is crisp on edges.