Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In' Seriously Simple Holidays' by Diane Rossen Worthington
Make and share this Baked Pasta With Tomato, Red Pepper, and Sweet Italian Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1⁄2 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups favorite marinara sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, and finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated asiago cheese
- 0.5 (6 ounce) bag arugula leaves
- Sauce-in a large, deep skillet (the author uses a deep flameproof casserole, but I never cook on the stovetop in a casserole pan), heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Cook the sausage meat, breaking up the meat with a spoon, for about 5 minutes, or until no pinkness remains.
- Drain of most of the fat.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the marinara sauce and red peppers, reduced heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the cream, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Taste and adjust for seasonings.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Oil a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Salt the water, add the pasta, and cook over high heat for 10-11 minutes, OR until al dente; drain well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cheeses.
- Combine the pasta with the sauce in the pan; add 1 cup of the blended cheeses and arugula leaves, mixing well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and evenly sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce begins to bubble and the cheese is browned.
- Serve immediately.