Recipe by spatchcock
I love this recipe for busy nights, or at the end of a stressful day when we want easy comfort food. This is easy, but not cheap-tasting and is healthy. I use whole-wheat penne for the pasta, so I usually use a bit more tomato juice since whole-wheat pasta tends to need more liquid.
Top Review by Abby Girl
I picked this recipe because I had some ricotta cheese frozen and wanted to use it up! I found this recipe a little on the dry side and lacked in the taste department. If I was to do this one again, I would add 3 - 4 garlic...increase on the paprika...add more salt and pepper....add hot sauce. I had 1 cup of ricotta cheese, so added all of it! Seasoned the pasta with olive oil, little salt and pepper. I added 4 large mushrooms, chopped, but could have added more (8) as they did cook down. The only bonus I would give this recipe was that my 2 year old grand son loved it. The adults thought it was a little on the dry side. If I was to do this one again, once the casserole is assembled, I would add some more liquid of some sort, check the seasoning and add more parmesan cheese!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, drained and chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes; sauté 3 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Stir well, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta for 7 minutes or until tender and still a bit firm.
- Drain and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine ricotta, pasta and sauce; mix gently to combine.
- Pour into a medium-sized baking dish and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley and additional Parmesan cheese.