This is a creamy, warm, comforting pasta casserole. Adapted from an old issue of Woman's Day magazine. Note: If you are using homemade stock or the reduced sodium canned broth, remember to adjust the salt accordingly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces medium sized shaped pasta, cooked & drained well, cooled (such as seashells, elbow macaroni, ziti)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (NOT cooking sherry)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 4 ounces canned sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup pimiento, drained (optional)
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Whisk together 2 Tbsp of the milk with all of the cornstarch until dissolved.
- 3In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining milk, chicken broth, and sherry; bring to just a light boil.
- 4Working quickly so as not to burn the milk, stir in cornstarch mixture and cook 1-2 minutes, or until sauce is simmering and thickened, stirring constantly.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste; simmer on low 3 minutes longer, stirring.
- 6Pour sauce into a large bowl and add pasta, chicken, peas, mushrooms, and pimentos.
- 7Stir in 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and stir to combine until all pasta is coated.
- 8Pour into a greased shallow baking dish.
- 9In a small bowl, combine remaining cheese and bread crumbs, sprinkle over the pasta to coat.
- 10Bake 30 minutes, uncovered, until bubbly and golden brown.
- 11Serve hot, with additional Parmesan on the side if desired.
- 12Note: Do not use the product labeled as"cooking sherry" as it has added salt and will not taste the same; If you don't have any real sherry, you may substitute white wine or vermouth.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Pasta With Mushroom Chicken Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.0
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 52.1 mg
- Sodium 571.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 26.2 g