Recipe by HisPixie
From Woman's Day: Kale is a hearty, versatile winter green that's also a superfood. Adding it to some of your favorite recipes, like this classic baked penne, gives even your most comforting dishes a serious nutrient boost.
- 453.59 g penne, whole wheat (or other short pasta)
- 453.59 g kale, stems discarded and leaves cut into 2-inch pieces
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 566.99 g turkey sausage, Italian, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml milk, 1%
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 411.06 g diced tomatoes, drained
- 236.59 ml part-skim ricotta cheese
- 113.39 g part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 56.69 g parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the pasta according to package directions, adding the kale during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain the pasta and kale and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- Add the onion and remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet, season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stirring constantly, gradually add the milk. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes; stir in the crushed red pepper.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and kale and toss to coat. Add the sausage, tomatoes, ricotta and mozzarella and toss to combine. Transfer the pasta mixture to a 3-quart or 9- by 13-inch casserole dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bake until heated through and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.