1 hr 25 mins
From Woman's Day: Kale is a hearty, versatile winter green that's also a superfood. Adding it to some of your favorite recipes, like this classic baked penne, gives even your most comforting dishes a serious nutrient boost.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne, whole wheat (or other short pasta)
- 1 lb kale, stems discarded and leaves cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 ounces turkey sausage, Italian, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, 1%
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the pasta according to package directions, adding the kale during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain the pasta and kale and return it to the pot.
- 2Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- 3Add the onion and remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet, season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- 4Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stirring constantly, gradually add the milk. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes; stir in the crushed red pepper.
- 5Add the sauce to the pasta and kale and toss to coat. Add the sausage, tomatoes, ricotta and mozzarella and toss to combine. Transfer the pasta mixture to a 3-quart or 9- by 13-inch casserole dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bake until heated through and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Pasta With Kale
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 784.4
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 188.1 mg
- Sodium 918.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 37.7 g