Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
from Fine Cooking #62. Just like fettucine alfredo but with minimal work! My whole family loves this and it's quick and easy for weeknight cooking. I usually make this in one large casserole dish rather than 4 individual ones and bake for 12 minutes or so. Serve with a Caesar salad and breadsticks for an easy and satisfying dinner.
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 3 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated (1 generous cup)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground white pepper
- 8 ounces dried ziti pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Heat the oven to 500°F In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. In a large bowl, combine the cream with all but 2 Tbs. of the cheese, 1/4 teaspoons salt, and white pepper to taste.
- When the water is boiling, salt it generously and add the ziti. Undercook the pasta slightly so that it’s a bit toothier than al dente, 1 to 2 minutes less than the package directions. Drain well.
- Add the pasta to the cream mixture. Divide among four individual shallow ceramic gratin dishes (6 to 8 inches wide). Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and dot with the butter.
- Bake until the pasta is bubbly and hot and the edges begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Don't overbake or the sauce may separate. Let rest for 3 to 5 minutes before serving.