From the Best of Fine Cooking.
Make and share this Baked Pasta With Asparagus, Lemon, and Mascarpone recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs asparagus, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 8 scallions, sliced
- 2 lemons, zested
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1⁄2 cup pignolis, toasted
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Heat a large pot of water to boil.
- Add asparagus and cook 2 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and run under cold water to stop cooking process, drain well.
- Add fettuccine to boiling water and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- While fettuccine is cooking, heat oil in a skillet, add scallions and saute 1 minute.
- Add asparagus, saute 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add half the zest, lemon juice, thyme, salt, pepper; mix well; set aside.
- In a saucepan melt butter, add flour and mix well.
- Whisk in milk and stir until boiling, lower heat and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in mascapone, remaining zest and 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano, whisking until smooth.
- Season with allspice, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Mix remaining cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper in a small bowl.
- For assembly:.
- Drain the cooked fettucine and return to pot.
- Stir in asparagus mixture, cheese sauce, toasted nuts and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan, top with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake uncovered 15-20 minutes until bubbling and golden; serve.