Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This can be made in advance by assembling the shells then put in the refrigerator unbaked for up to 24 hours. Bake for an additional 20 minutes covered.
- 20 large pasta shells
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh ricotta
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage or 2 teaspoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 24 -26 ounces marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Cook shells 7-8 minutes until almost al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Drizzle with oil and toss.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, salt, 1/8 tsp of pepper, egg yolks, and 1/8 cup parmesan.
- Melt the butter in skillet over medium heat. Add the herb of choice and cook until butter is brown.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a baking dish or casserole.
- Carefully spoon about 1 1/2 tbsp of the ricotta filling into each shell and place into the casserole dish.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the shells.
- Combine the Parmesan cheese with 1/4 tsp pepper and sprinkle over the shells.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes--sauce should be bubbly. Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.