Baking gives this sauce a unique roasted flavor. You can substitute ham, cooked bacon, or pancetta for the salami.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained and mashed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 lb italian salami, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Mix tomatoes, garlic, onion, salami, basil, oil and red pepper flakes in an oven proof dish.
- Mix bread crumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pasta without mixing so the crunchy bits stay crunchy.