Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 16 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons pizza seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1 (14 ounce) box pasta, shape
- 4 egg whites
- 1 (15 ounce) package fat-free cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic until tender.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, oregano, pizza seasoning, salt, black pepper, and parsley.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg whites, cottage cheese, and parmesan cheese.
- Stir in pasta mixture and pour into a 13" x 9" x 2" pan.
- Top with tomato mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
The end result was a taste comparable to lasagna. I used a bow-tie pasta. It was easy to make and it tasted really nice. I will definetely make it again.
This is an excellent flexible base recipe to work with. I made it last night for a gathering at home and it was a hit with everyone. Good stuff!
I actually didn't make the whole recipe, i didn't have mushrooms or cottage cheese but I wanted a simple pasta and hamburg sauce recipe. My usual recipes were too long. I took just the sauce from Dancer's recipe, using hamburg and made a delicious and fast sauce to put over pasta!!!!