Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is delicious and a little different from classic baked macaroni. I add basil pesto to my sauce and that's what makes it sooo tasty. This pasta dish is a favorite in my family, especially those hungry teens!!! Try this you'll love it.
- 16 ounces pasta (pinwheel, cooked al dente)
- 28 ounces tomatoes (herbs & spices, pureed)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1 large white onion (finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (grated)
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream (or whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons garlic (crushed)
- Preheat oven at 375.
- Butter a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Cook pinwheel pasta in salted wated until ''al dente'', reserve.
- finely chop the onion, reserve.
- In food processor, puree the tomatoes until smooth.
- In large bowl, mix together the pureed tomatoes, garlic, onions, basil pesto and the cooked pasta. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Transfer to buttered casserole.
- Grate mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Add cheeses on top of casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy.
This was very easy to put together and does not need a long time to bake, perfect for a weeknight dinner! The addition of the pesto was a great idea. However, the instructions did not indicate what to do with the half-and-half, so I added it to the pasta mixture in the bowl before putting it in the baking pan. Thanks for posting this. Made for PAC Fall 2009.