Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I don't know where I got this recipe from but it certainly is delicious. I changed a few things as I generally do to suit my tastes. I topped this off with a mixture of 1/4 tsp. cumin, 2 cups bread crumbs and 1 cup shredded Vegan jack cheese. I also sprinkled some paprika on top for color. I didn't include the time it took to cook the pasta in this recipe.
- 1 lb pasta (vegan)
- 10 medium mushrooms (chopped & optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (filtered )
- 1 cup soymilk (plain or other non-dairy milk)
- 3⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon white miso (or additional salt)
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Boil the pasta in a large pot of boiling water as per the package directions.
- While it is cooking combine the rest of the ingredients in a blender.
- Saute the mushrooms in a tablespoons of olive oil.
- Spray a 9"x9"x2" oven proof dish with oil.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain it reserving about 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Melt two tablespoons of Vegan margarine in the pot and return the pasta to the pasta pan. Add the sauce mixture and cook it stirring until it boils and thickens. Add in the sauted mushrooms and give it a gentle stir.
- Place the pasta mixture into the baking dish and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle with the bread crumb mixture (if using) and top with a little ground paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling around the edges.
- Cool on a metal rack and enjoy.
- Bon Appetit!