Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This rice dish is very tasty! You may use more or less than 1 pound of sausages if desired, I just use 1 can for the 1-1/2 cups of sliced mushrooms for this recipe, but 2 cans can be used if desired. This dish is ready in about 1 hour from oven to table. Make sure you use a very large oven-proof frypan or a oven-proof pot to make this in, as it is placed in the oven to finish baking.
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 medium sweet bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned mushroom slices
- 1 small zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups converted white rice (Uncle Ben's is good!)
- 4 cups good-quality chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil (optional but really recommended)
- salt and pepper
- Grease a "huge" oven proof fry pan with a fitted lid, or use a large oven proof pot skillet.
- In the frypan, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Add in the sausages, and saute for 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Pour some of the fat from the skillet if desired, and discard the rest.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- To the same skillet/frypan, saute the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add in the red bell pepper, mushrooms and zucchini; saute, stirring occasionally (about 5-6 minutes).
- Stir in the uncooked rice; toss to coat.
- Add in the chicken stock; bring to a boil, and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese, basil, pepper and browned sausage; mix well with a spoon.
- Bake in the same fypan for 25 minutes, or until rice is done to desired texture.