Recipe by Muffin Goddess
Adapted from The New York Times cookbook. Posted for ZWT.
Top Review by Lou
I am not familiar with preparing papaya's. I did this one, and added a dash of rum, and served it with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. Mine was from brazil so I can't wait til I can find some that are from Hawaii! These were satisfactory considering my inexperience with papaya's. I don't think i'll put as much water in the pan next time tho. thanks for the recipe. can't wait to try it again.
- 3 papayas, firm but ripe (the sweeter Hawaiian variety is probably best here)
- 1 vanilla bean, cut into 6 pieces
- 6 teaspoons butter
- 12 teaspoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
- Peel the papayas, split them in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Arrange the prepared papayas, cut side up, in a large baking dish filled with approximately 1/2 inch of water.
- Place one piece of vanilla bean, 1 tsp butter and 2 teaspoons brown sugar in the center of each papaya half.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.