Recipe by the4taals
I love paczkis but they are only available on Shrove Tuesday where I live, and not really healthy. I searched Recipezaar and found 2 recipes (#97522 & #83936) that I combined and modified to come up with this! Enjoy!
Top Review by MLZZZ
I guess I must start by saying that I am a non-Polish Chicagoan who was transplanted from the area. I have been making pazcki for Mardi Gras since we moved, and this is my favorite recipe! The ingredients balance well in the bread machine--not to wet, not too dry. And they bake up lovely
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk, warmed
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 -4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 -8 tablespoons sugar, for dusting
- 1 cup thick jam (prune, apricot etc)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all the ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order they are listed.
- Start dough cycle.
- When cycle is complete knead dough on a lightly floured surface, adding more flour if needed until dough is no longer sticky.
- Roll out to 1/2 inch thick and cut with a 3 inch round.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet, cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and immediately brush paczkis with melted butter and then roll in sugar.
- Use a pastry bag fitted with a round tip to squirt jam into doughnut, resist the urge to overfill as it will run out everywhere.