Recipe by Rinshinomori
This recipe is so good. We used to eat these all the time when we can purchase relatively inexpensive oysters nearby in the 1970's from the California coast but now I have to reserve this for special occasions. The recipe comes from the Plaza Hotel New York City. Life is sweet when I can have these while sipping great tasting white wine and seeing the bright reddish orange sun slowly going down the Pacific Ocean. Although these are great with oysters in half shelf, it also works fine with oysters already shucked and placed on gratin plate with the topping and baked. The presentation is better with half shelf, but gratin dish method works fine and maybe easier. If Using gratin dish method, discard the shells.
Top Review by TracyDoyle
I made this tonight with pre-shucked oysters. I modified it by using smoked hot Spanish Paprika (about twice what the recipe called for), using cocktail sauce rather than chili sauce (which I didn't have), a dash of El Yucateca XXX Maya Sauce for heat and depth and adding some Old Bay and paprika to the bread crumbs. Prepared this in a Pyrex casserole and served the finished oysters over a small potato gallette. What a treat! Very easy to make and delectable to eat. Served with a Bavarian style apple wine. Will make again very soon!
- 12 -15 raw oysters, shucked (reserve the cupped end of shell)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 -3 slices bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1⁄2-1 lemons (optional) or 1⁄2-1 lime, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mayonnaise with chili sauce, mustard, paprika and Tabasco.
- Dip oysters into seasoned mayonnaise until thoroughly coated. Return oysters to their shells or place them in a buttered gratin dish big enough to hold the plump oysters.
- Top each oyster with a square of bacon and place under broiler for 5 minutes or until bacon is cooked. The amount of time is dependent on your broiler. I have several settings.
- Remove and sprinkle bread crumbs and return to the oven and broil for additional 1-2 minutes until bread crumbs are browned.
- Garnish with parsley and slice of lemon or lime before serving.