Recipe by AmyZoe
Here's a quick recipe to whip together the night before so it's ready for breakfast. Serve with syrup, fruit, cream, or powdered sugar. Recipe courtesy of www.recipelion.com. Keep in mind, your old stale bread works better than fresh.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 12 slices French bread (3/4 inch)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread butter over bottom of heavy large baking pan with 1 inch sides.
- Arrange bread sliced in pan.
- In large bowl beat eggs, milk, sugar, syrup, vanilla, and salt to blend.
- Pour mixture over bread.
- Turn bread slices to coat.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake French bread 10 minutes.
- Turn bread over and continue baking until just golden, about 4 minutes longer.
- Transfer cooked toast to plates and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve at once with warm maple syrup and chopped, toasted walnuts.