Recipe by Dominick & Amanda
From Vegetarian Times-September 2002. This simple dish comes together in minutes and calls for a light soup or tossed green salad and hot Italian bread with olive oil for dunking. It also makes a great buffet party dish, as it can feed a group when served with other fare.
- 2 cups orzo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chunky marinara sauce
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- italian seasoning, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly oil heatproof baking dish.
- Heat water in covered saucepan. When at a rapid boil, cook orzo until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat and sauté garlic, leeks and zucchini slices for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Drain orzo and place in baking dish. Stir in marinara sauce, salt and pepper and spice mix. Top with half the cheese.
- Arrange zucchini and leek slices on top of orzo, and top with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until mozzarella melts. During last 5 minutes, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.