Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you like Feta cheese you are going to love this dish. Very easy to make and a real crowd pleaser! Recipe from Gourmet Magazine.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried hot red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olives or 1⁄2 cup other oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 lb feta cheese, patted dry and crumbled (3 cups)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook onion, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes in 1 tablespoon oil in a 4 quart pot over moderately high heat, stirring, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt and reduce heat, and simmer briskly, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir shrimp into sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- While sauce and shrimp are cooking, cook orzo in a 6 quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain in a sieve.
- Return orzo to pot and toss with remaining tablespoon oil.
- Stir in sauce with shrimp and reserved cooking water, then add olives and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon 1/2 of pasta into an oiled 13 X 9 by 2 inch glass baking dish, then sprinkle with 1/2 of the feta.
- Top with remaining pasta and feta, then bake in middle of the oven, uncovered, until cheese is slightly melted and pasta is heated through, about 10-15 minutes.