1 hr 5 mins
Babs in Toyland's Note:
If you like Feta cheese you are going to love this dish. Very easy to make and a real crowd pleaser! Recipe from Gourmet Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 lbs large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives or 1/2 cup other oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 lb feta cheese, patted dry and crumbled (3 cups)
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Cook onion, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes in 1 tablespoon oil in a 4 quart pot over moderately high heat, stirring, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- 3Add wine and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- 4Stir in tomatoes and salt and reduce heat, and simmer briskly, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
- 5Stir shrimp into sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- 6While sauce and shrimp are cooking, cook orzo in a 6 quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- 7Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain in a sieve.
- 8Return orzo to pot and toss with remaining tablespoon oil.
- 9Stir in sauce with shrimp and reserved cooking water, then add olives and salt and pepper, to taste.
- 10Spoon 1/2 of pasta into an oiled 13 X 9 by 2 inch glass baking dish, then sprinkle with 1/2 of the feta.
- 11Top with remaining pasta and feta, then bake in middle of the oven, uncovered, until cheese is slightly melted and pasta is heated through, about 10-15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Orzo with Shrimp, Tomato Sauce, and Feta
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.1
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 240.3 mg
- Sodium 1790.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 45.2 g