Recipe by Manami
This dish is absolutely excellent! Lovely! If you choose, use bow-tie pasta or some other small pasta. Found on a food blog and can't remember which, am sorry.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 -32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 36)
- 1 lb orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olives or 1⁄2 cup other brine-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 lb feta, patted dry and crumbled (3 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Cook onion, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes in 1 tablespoon oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine and boil until reduced by 1/2, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt, then reduce heat, and simmer briskly, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir shrimp into sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- While sauce and shrimp are cooking, cook orzo in a 6-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain orzo in a sieve.
- Return orzo to pot and toss with remaining tablespoon oil.
- Stir in sauce with shrimp and reserved cooking water, then add olives and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon 1/2 of pasta into an oiled 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish, then sprinkle with 1/2 of feta.
- Top with remaining pasta and feta, then bake in middle of oven, uncovered, until cheese is slightly melted and pasta is heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.