Recipe by WaterMelon
Adapted from recipe by Delia Smith. Easy and low fat Chinese dish.
Top Review by Vlada
I doubled the sauce quantity but otherwise did everything by the recipe. I was not too keen on the result - it was very salty, and the soya sauce taste was overpowering, even though I used the light sauce. Not sure what was wrong.
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 cup shaoxing wine (rice wine or dry sherry works too)
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except the chicken in a saucepan or flame-proof casserole, bring to boil over medium heat.
- Add chicken thighs, simmer for 2 minutes, turning the chicken to coat with sauce.
- Transfer pan/casserole to oven (preheated to 400°F/200°C) and bake uncovered for 40mins, turning once halfway through the cooking time.
- Sprinkle with shredded green onions and red chilli before serving with plain jasmine rice.