Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from recipe by Delia Smith. Easy and low fat Chinese dish.
Make and share this Baked Oriental Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 cup shaoxing wine (rice wine or dry sherry works too)
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons water
- Combine all ingredients except the chicken in a saucepan or flame-proof casserole, bring to boil over medium heat.
- Add chicken thighs, simmer for 2 minutes, turning the chicken to coat with sauce.
- Transfer pan/casserole to oven (preheated to 400°F/200°C) and bake uncovered for 40mins, turning once halfway through the cooking time.
- Sprinkle with shredded green onions and red chilli before serving with plain jasmine rice.
I doubled the sauce quantity but otherwise did everything by the recipe. I was not too keen on the result - it was very salty, and the soya sauce taste was overpowering, even though I used the light sauce. Not sure what was wrong.
Absolutely lovely recipe. Didn't have star anise but used 1/3 tsp 5 spice powder. Did raise the temperature of the oven to 450. Cooked chicken skin side down 25 minutes then skin side up for 20 minutes.Came out very brown. Also, put some cuts in the chicken so more flavor was absorbed. Wonderful... will make again for sure.
I've made this twice in three days--my family loves it. It's flavorful and delicious. I used bone in whole leg quarters, ground ginger, cooking sherry, low sodium soy sauce, and dark sesame oil, but otherwise prepared as described. I increased the cooking time a bit for the larger bone in chicken pieces, which reduced and thickened the sauce a little. This will be in regular rotation for a while.