Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the book, Heart of the Palms
- 6 center-cut pork chops, 1-inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- parsley (to garnish)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained for garnish
- Trim excess fat from chops and rub fat on bottom of heavy skillet to grease.
- Brown chops on both sides.
- Remove from skillet and place in heavy 3 quart casserole.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove excess grease from skillet and lower heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until lightly browned and tender.
- Add orange juice and water to pan and bring to a boil.
- Add mixture to meat in casserole.
- Cover dish and bake at 350 for about 2 hours.
- Combine flour and water.
- Slowly stir into juices in the casserole until mixture thickens.
- Garnish with parsley and oranges.