Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a nice breakfast from the Mid-Atlantic region of the US. From the RSVP section of Bon Appetit from the Osceola Mills House, Gordonville,PA.
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons triple sec
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 8 Italian bread, diagonally sliced, 1 1/2-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon triple sec
- maple syrup
- In a large bowl whisk together zest, juice, sugar, vanilla, triple sec, eggs, half-and-half, and a pinch of salt. Arrange bread slices in one layer in a glass baking dish, 13x9x2". Pour mixture over bread, turning slices to coat, and chill, covered, 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Brush large baking sheet with butter.
- Using a slotted spatula arrange bread in one layer on baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between each slice, and bake in middle of oven 5 minutes. Rotate pan and bake 5 minutes more. Turn bread over and bake 5 minutes more. Rotate pan and bake until bread is puffed and golden, 5 minutes more.
- Make sauce while bread is baking:.
- In a small saucepan cook the butter, marmalade, and triple sec over low heat, stirring, until butter is melted.
- Drizzle french toast with sauce and serve with syrup.
Hi lazyme! Here's my favorite version of the recipe (it takes about 30 minutes). I recommend adding Cinnamon.
This is an AMAZING RECIPE Lazyme. I loved the orange flavor of this incredible treat. I made this for myself for breakfast today. It was quick and easy to make. With great results, the toast was tender, moist, light and fluffy. The sauce was too die for, so very flavorful, you could taste the butter, orange liquer and marmalade in the pretty sauce. I also added a little maple syrup to round off the treat. Thanks so much for sharing.
ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS FRENCH TOAST ~ The orange flavor is wonderful! I did put some maple syrup on the table, but for myself I used white corn syrup 'cause I didn't want to mask the orange flavors! Thanks for A GREAT KEEPER! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar Tag]