Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is a (very) slightly adapted version of a recipe from Real Simple magazine, Jan. 2009. It was voted No. 9 in a list of readers 50 favorite recipes! It is delicious and SO easy! Buy your salmon fillets fresh (with skin) and you won't get that fishy smell at all! I baked the salmon when I made this recipe, but I have also included instructions for grilling outdoors. The cedar plank adds a wonderful, smoky flavor. It should be 7 x 14 x 1/3 inches. I found cedar planks in the meat department of my local grocery store. You must soak the cedar plank in water for no less than 30 minutes before use. Prep time includes soaking time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pre-soaked cedar plank on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place the salmon, skin side down, on the cedar plank. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, oil, thyme, and cayenne. Spread over the salmon.
- Cover with foil. Roast on plank for 25-30 minutes, until salmon flakes easily and is opaque throughout.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges.
- To grill: Follow instructions above, except put the plank with salmon (covered with foil) directly on the grill. Grill should be preheated to medium or, if using charcoal, allow the coals to burn until they are covered with white ash.