Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 4 vidalia onions
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 dash black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel onions, leaving root end intact.
- Trim top third of each onion and save for another use.
- Arrange onions, cut side down in an 8" square baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Add chicken broth to pan and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Carefully turn onions over and bake for 30 more minutes until onions are soft and liquid has almost evaporated.
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine feta, breadcrumbs, thyme and pepper.
- Gently pat cheese mixture evenly onto cut sides of onions.
- Broil until cheese begins to brown - about 1 minute.
Excellent technique for roasting/baking the onions but you have to watch to make sure the chicken broth doesn't cook out. The topping is nice, but the onions by themselves are to-die-for--sweet and succulent.