Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe online, it's originally from Country Woman magazine. Putting here for safe keeping!
- 6 medium onions
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seed
- chopped fresh parsley
- Peel onions; cut widthwise into halves. Place cut sides up in greased 10- x 6- x 2-in. baking pan.
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain and crumble over onions. Combine the tomato juice, bacon drippings, brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika and dill seeds; pour over onions.
- Cover with foil; bake at 325° for 1 hour or until tender, basting occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley at serving time.
- (Serving suggestion: This dish is great with roast beef!).
This is really good. I did it with only one large spanish onion. I used some juice of a can of diced tomatoes cause I needed only 1/8 cup. I reduced the amount of brown sugar by half. I'M glad I did. Very easy to do. The onion was perfect and tender after 1 hour in oven. Thanks Shelby :) Made for PRMR tag game
This recipe is a wonderful find! I also love creamed onions as bluemoon does, and I thought I may add some cream to the recipe; but, I resisted, and I am so glad as the flavours were clever and intense - without the extra guilt of cream! I only used 3 onions for the two of us, and we ate them for a light supper with French bread and mixed salad - DIVINE! Made for Photo Tag and the Halloween Special in the month of October! Merci - a keeper for me! FT:-)
I fancied a slightly creamy sauce on the onions so I added 1/4 cup of creamy Greek yoghurt to the other ingredients in step two. I also put the onions in a dish where they had no opportunity to collapse (if they were inclined to do so) which meant that the creamy sauce was more contained. After the hour in the oven, I lowered the temperature and kept them in the oven for an extra half hour. There's nothing worse than onions not being quite cooked enough! I loved them (a great blend of flavours), but there were mixed responses from my guests. After all, not everyone loves onions. These were served with a chicken dish and mashed potatoes. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.