Recipe by Shelby Jo
I found this recipe online, it's originally from Country Woman magazine. Putting here for safe keeping!
Top Review by Boomette
This is really good. I did it with only one large spanish onion. I used some juice of a can of diced tomatoes cause I needed only 1/8 cup. I reduced the amount of brown sugar by half. I'M glad I did. Very easy to do. The onion was perfect and tender after 1 hour in oven. Thanks Shelby :) Made for PRMR tag game
- 6 medium onions
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seed
- chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel onions; cut widthwise into halves. Place cut sides up in greased 10- x 6- x 2-in. baking pan.
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain and crumble over onions. Combine the tomato juice, bacon drippings, brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika and dill seeds; pour over onions.
- Cover with foil; bake at 325° for 1 hour or until tender, basting occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley at serving time.
- (Serving suggestion: This dish is great with roast beef!).