- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb onion, sliced (or chopped)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until thick, smooth and golden. Continue whisking while gradually adding milk.
- Cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper and Worcestershire.
- Wilt onions in the microwave. Layer onions and cheese in greased 2-quart casserole dish. Pour sauce over.
- Bake until bubbly golden, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.