I love onion rings, but I hate deep frying anything. These don't taste the same as the deep fried variety, but they are crispy & flavorful and a nice alternative. Adapted from Taste of Home. Servings will vary greatly depending upon your onions - approx 4 rings per serving. Please use very large onions and they should be sweet onions (such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla). Regular onions just won't taste the same.
- Mix together the cereal, sugar, paprika, garlic salt, and seasoned salt.
- Separate onion sices into rings- you will only need to use the large size rings, save the smaller rings for another use.
- Beat egg until foamy in a small bowl.
- Dip onion rings into first the egg, then coat with seasonings (you may need another egg or a little extra seasoning mixture if your onions are particularly large).
- Set on greased baking sheets in one layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 F for about 15-20 minutes or until coating is crispy and onions are tender.