Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love onion rings, but I hate deep frying anything. These don't taste the same as the deep fried variety, but they are crispy & flavorful and a nice alternative. Adapted from Taste of Home. Servings will vary greatly depending upon your onions - approx 4 rings per serving. Please use very large onions and they should be sweet onions (such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla). Regular onions just won't taste the same.
- Mix together the cereal, sugar, paprika, garlic salt, and seasoned salt.
- Separate onion sices into rings- you will only need to use the large size rings, save the smaller rings for another use.
- Beat egg until foamy in a small bowl.
- Dip onion rings into first the egg, then coat with seasonings (you may need another egg or a little extra seasoning mixture if your onions are particularly large).
- Set on greased baking sheets in one layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 F for about 15-20 minutes or until coating is crispy and onions are tender.
These were delicious - just don't have any preconceptions of them having a 'fried' taste - they don't. A great alternative.
I have to give this a 5 star, my son is the pickiest eater ever and he wanted deep fried onion rings and I hadn't any oil so I started a search and ran across this recipe and it was a great hit...I will make again...
Found these to be very good for baked onion rings. Made half a batch and served with your Crunchy Chicken Bites#318999 and asparagus. I think I might try using some panko next time. Thank you! Made for Spring PAC 09.